It was so good to have my friends here for a couple of days. We spent many a happy hour on a blanket by the creek, the sun beaming down upon us as the water gurgled by and the wind shushed through the trees. We sipped water and ate strawberries and talked of writing and cooking, travel and good books, drawing and treasure hunting in junk stores. It's so fun dreaming and scheming with kindred spirits. :-)
This morning we had brunch as we waited for the sun to rise over the trees and flood the meadow with sunny warmth. We had French toast made with fresh French bread from the Dutch bakery in town, slathered with extra thick sour cream, topped with super ripe strawberries, and drizzled with Dutch syrup I brought back from Amsterdam.
Mmmm, SO good, especially accompanied by salty slices of toasted prosciutto.
What are you grateful for, dear folks?
French Toast Krista Style
1 loaf French bread, sliced thickly
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups fresh strawberries, washed and sliced
1 bottle real maple syrup or Dutch syrup
- In shallow, wide bowl mix eggs, milk and cinnamon until egg is well incorporated.
- Quickly dip both sides of one slice of bread in mixture and place in well-buttered skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook 1-2 minutes each side until nicely browned. Repeat until all slices are cooked.
- Spread French toast generously with sour cream, top with strawberries, drizzle with syrup and eat heartily.
Prosciutto, sliced thinly
- Turn on broiler.
- Place prosciutto slices on cookie sheet. Place under broiler for 2-3 minutes until edges begin to curl. WATCH CAREFULLY.
- Remove from oven and flip prosciutto slices.
- Broil another 2-3 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove immediately and serve.