1.04.2010

Simple Noodle Soup

It's Sunday evening and I'm tucked up in bed, slurping noodle soup and thinking I'll keep my Christmas tree up for a while longer just cuz it makes me happy to see it there all twinkly and serene.



It's been a wonderfully restful weekend spent in my pjs reading books, watching movies and getting extra sleep. Just what I needed to get rejuvenated and re-focused for this first week of 2010.

I've been reading voraciously the past few months, usually having at least 4 books on the go. At the moment I'm working through the hilarious and thought-provoking "The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to live the Bible as Literally as Possible", soul-nourishing "Traveling Mercies", goal-refining "The Huffington Post Complete Guide to Blogging" and "The Pianist" the heart-rending book on which the movie was based. Books are such a comfort, opening my heart to new ways of thinking, believing and experiencing, tearing down wrong conceptions and false teachings, freeing me to be myself. I love them. :-)




I've been eating noodle soup every day, a habit sparked by a visit to my folks' house a while back when we indulged in Top Ramen for the first time in ages. :-) I suppose "indulged" doesn't seem the right word for such common fare, but when you add a few shots of soy sauce, a couple drops of Tabasco and a sprinkling of green onion, that simple bag of petrified noodles becomes transcendent.

Of course, being almost completely devoid of any health-giving properties, Top Ramen is last minute, emergency ration fare, and I've been making healthier versions with soba noodles or whole-grain angel hair pasta.

I start with the broth, either hearty beef or chicken. My latest discovery is a divine concoction by College Inn featuring chicken broth infused with a blend of coconut, curry, garlic and coriander flavors. DELISH!



I add a sprinkling of green onion to the broth and set it to simmer while I get the noodle water boiling.



While soba noodles are my noodle of choice these days, tonight's option is limited to thin whole wheat spaghetti. Yep, I really need to get to the grocery store. :-)



While the noodles cook I chop more green onion, cilantro and grab the bottle of soy sauce.



Once the noodles are done, drained and dumped into a soup bowl, I ladle in steaming broth, sprinkle scallions and cilantro, dash in some soy sauce and give it a stir. Mmm. I love the ease of preparation and simplicity of ingredients. The hot, salty broth, hearty, grainy noodles and fresh toppings make it a perfectly satisfying, perfectly light evening meal. Just what I want to kick off the New Year on a healthy note.



And, as a little bonus, several of you requested the Dijon Butter recipe I used for the Brussels Sprouts the other day. Here it is :-)

Dijon Butter
(From Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone)

1 garlic clove, put through press
1/4 pound butter
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard (I like grainy style)
1 large shallot finely diced or 2 Tbsp minced scallion
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Soften butter and blend with remaining ingredients. For the Brussels Sprouts I melt the butter. It makes it easier to coat.

Simple Noodle Soup

1 carton broth
2 handfuls of soba noodles or thin whole grain pasta
2-3 scallions, thinly sliced
handful of cilantro, chopped
soy sauce to taste

Combine broth and half of scallions, bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Cook noodles and drain (rinse if using soba noodles), pour into soup bowls. Cover with broth, sprinkle with remaining scallions and cilantro, and add soy sauce to taste.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you could take the time and recoup. We all need to do it, but unfortunately we don't seem to make the time. Your soup recipe makes me want to go and make some, it has been rainy here, so it will go down well. Thank you for the Dijon Butter recipe, I was hoping you would put it up. I love brussels sprouts and this was sounds lovely. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Annie. I needed this weekend so much and feel much refreshed by it. :-) Hope you like the soup and sprouts - they're my faves this winter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That broth does sound like a fabulous start to a soup! I love noodle soups, they're so comforting along with a good book :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This Dijon butter recipe looks delicious. My husband who love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too, Lorraine! Tonight is going to be a soup/book night and I can't wait :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is SO good, parisienne! :-) I hope your hubby enjoys it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think staying in bed reading and eating this noodle soup for a week or two is perfect and I think my husband needs this therapy! Soup sounds so delicious! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year to you too, Jamie! :-) I hope you and your hubby get that lovely rest :-)

    ReplyDelete